pedanther: (Default)
[personal profile] pedanther
#34: A book where the title is the same colour as the previous book

The Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham.

I've been vaguely meaning to try out Allingham's Campion novels since I was a university student and learned that there was a TV adaptation starring Peter Davison (which I have likewise been vaguely meaning to try out and never actually getting around to). The thing that gave me the nudge to finally start reading The Tiger in the Smoke was that it came up as a recommendation on BookSorted. On the basis of this, I will be reading more Campion novels and will be more likely to try other BookSorted recommendations.

An additional fun moment was discovering that this is one of those cases where a work of fiction uses a name that was unremarkable at the time and subsequently became extremely famous in a different context: there's an important plot point involving a boy whose name is Johnny Cash.


#35: A book where the cover is the same colour as the previous book's title

Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. A re-read, because something in The Tiger in the Smoke reminded me of something in Reaper Man and I wanted to see if I was remembering it correctly. And also, of course, because it's been too long since last time I read Reaper Man.


And that's the end of this book chain. I still have the remaining monthly prompts from the Buzzword challenge, but apart from those I'm free to read whatever I like for the rest of the year. Maybe I'll try another BookSorted recommendation.

Date: 2026-09-14 07:28 pm (UTC)
thisbluespirit: (dw - five)
From: [personal profile] thisbluespirit
Yes, Campion's pretty good! Books and TV both.

there's an important plot point involving a boy whose name is Johnny Cash.

Ha, I don't remember that! And I would have noticed, because my parents had so many Johnny Cash albums in their collection - but then it was a very long time ago now that I read them, and I've never really re-read them.

Profile

pedanther: (Default)
pedanther

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   12345
6789101112
1314 1516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2026 02:41 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios